Now is the time to prepare for spring and the gardening season ahead.
Tropicals and Houseplants:
- Now is a good time to re-pot houseplants into slightly larger pots using Town & Country Professional Potting Mix .
- Houseplants sense spring in late February as the days lengthen. Begin feeding with Bonide Houseplant Food to encourage healthy new growth.
- Add orchids, African violets, bromeliads and other flowering plants to bring color indoors.
Indoor Seed & Bulb Starting:
- Start flower and vegetable seeds indoors. Ask for a copy of our Seed Starting Guide for recommended indoor sowing dates and tips for success. (Also available on our website.)
- Start the following seeds indoors: perennials, geraniums, snapdragons, petunias, peppers, celery, onions, and most herbs. Use grow lights to encourage healthy growth of seedlings and other indoor plants.
- Begin fertilizing seedlings with Fertilome Water Soluble Plant Food 20-20-20.
- Apply Hi-Yield Captan to seedlings as first true leaves develop to prevent damp off disease.
- Mark your seedlings with wood or plastic labels to identify varieties and planting dates
Birds and Wildlife:
- Feed birds with suet, black oil sunflower, and high quality wild bird seed.
- Provide a water source such as a heated bird bath.
- Create a plan for your vegetable and flower gardens.
- Purchase Crook’s Garden Seed as it becomes available later in the month.
- Attend gardening seminars at Town and Country Gardens. Check our website for our seminar schedule.
- Clean, oil and sharpen garden tools and pruners.Always read and follow label directions when using any garden chemical or fertilizer.